The Big List of Nasty Disasters
The likelihood of a Zombie Apocalypse, such as that portrayed in “The Remaining” books is pretty much zero.
Likewise, we probably won’t be invaded by aliens and taken to the brink of extinction, like in “The Fifth Wave.”
However, setting aside fantasy, disasters occur. Quite frequently in fact.
In 2016 FEMA released over 100 disaster declarations. These included: wildfires, hurricanes, snowstorms, flooding, landslides, tornadoes, contaminated water, and more.
Sadly, some people — suffering from normalcy bias — still think disaster will never happen to them, because, after all, “it hasn’t yet.”
They say, “Sure, there are disasters occurring all over the world, but that’s far away from home. It won’t happen to me.”
I will never forget what one of my professors said,
“If you look at world history, the default has been either chaos, famine, war, tyranny or a combination of these. It’s only a matter of time until the US enters the default again, and if you look at much of the world today, they are still presently experiencing the default.”
Therefore, careful observers understand these truths and prudently prepare.
In this series of articles, we will examine my Big List of Nasty Disasters and how to prepare for them.
Sheepdog Man’s Big List Of Nasty Disasters
I have organized this list into six categories of natural disasters: geological, hydrological, meteorological, fire, space created, and biological, and six categories of man-made disasters: war and terrorism, economic, civil unrest, criminal activity, and industrial accidents.
- Earthquake – How to Prepare for an Earthquake
- Avalanches – How to Survive an Avalanche
- Landslides – How to Survive a Landslide
- Sinkholes – How to Prepare for Sinkholes
- Volcanic Eruptions – How to Survive a Volcano
- Derecho Windstorm – How to Survive a Derecho
- Floods – How to Survive a Flood
- Limnic Eruption – How to Survive a Limnic Eruption
- Hurricane – How to Prepare for a Hurricane
- Tsunami – How to Survive a Tsunami
- Extreme Winter Weather – How to Survive Extreme Winter Weather
- Droughts – How to Survive a Drought
- Tornadoes – 4 Warning Signs of a Tornado and How to Prepare
- Extreme Heat – How to Beat Extreme Heat
- Impact events and airbursts
- Asteroid impact
- Meteor Showers
- Airburst Explosion
- Solar Flare (Carrington Event)
Man Made Disasters
War & Terrorism
- EMP (Electromagnetic Pulse)
- Nuclear fallout
- Biological Warfare
- Chemical Warfare
- Job loss or injury
- Recession or Depression
- Inflation & Deflation
- Home Invasion
- Mass Shooting
- Contaminated Water
- Food Poisoning and Contamination
- Chemical Release, Spills
We will examine each of these and how to prepare for them in order